Have you made any lavender laundry detergent yet? Good news: to make lemon dishwasher detergent pods you only need two additional ingredients (kosher salt and powdered lemon). They are fast and inexpensive to make, you know exactly what’s in them — and they work really well! Read on to see how to make yours.
Makes approximately 35 pods. Original recipe courtesy of Happy Money Saver .
What you need:
1 cup kosher salt
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda
15 packets of True Lemon or about half an ounce of an equivalent powdered lemon product (usually found in the drinks aisle at the grocery store)
Mixing spoon or whisk
Ice cube tray or mini muffin silicone cups
Small scoop or spoon
1) Gather your supplies.
2) Put dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine.
3) Add water and wait for fizzing to stop. Give the mixture another good stir.
4) Spoon mixture by the tablespoon into your ice cube tray or equivalent. I used mini silicone muffin cups. Press the spooned mixture down as flat as possible. Use the back of your spoon or scoop. Consider that the final shape needs to fit in your dishwasher’s dispensing compartment.
5) Set the tablets out to dry. I took mine outside and they dried in a few hours in our Florida heat.
6) Gently take the dried pods out of their molds and place in a storage container. I used a re-purposed jar with a spray-painted lid.
7) Use white vinegar as a r inse aid.
My dishes come out more sparkling than my previous earth-friendly liquid product left them, and when I open the dishwasher, I’m greeted with a slight but non-chemical lemon scent. I love these pods and I think you will too!